Who’s up for the challenge? Give your na…
Who’s up for the challenge? Give your names to Beth asap !!
Fellandale Canoe Challenge – 2017
What is it?
• A Kayaking and Canoeing relay event for Scouts, Explorers and Leaders.
• On the Leeds / Liverpool Canal starting at Skipton and finishing at Rodley Near Leeds.
• Saturday 9th September 2017
How Many in a team?
• 3 for a single seat Kayak, 4 for a double seat Open Canoe.
• The other two participants will need bikes to pedal alongside on the towpath for safety.
Prizes? Oh Yes!
• Trophies for Scout teams under 14 years.
• Trophies for Explorer teams aged 14 to under 18 years.
• Trophies for adult leaders / network 18 years and over.
How far is it?
• Total 25 miles and about 2 Miles per section. Participants can only change places at checkpoints.
• £25.00 per participant Including:-
• Camping fees overnight at Hunter Greave Campsite near the finish line,
• BBQ on Saturday night and Breakfast on Sunday,
• Games and events on Saturday night,
• Free T Shirt,
• Certificate for all completers.
How do I book?
• Bookings will open soon on the County website where you will just book full teams with a deposit of £25.00 per team.
• Provide your own, or borrow from County Activities Team. – Book early!
Do I need to hold a canoeing certificate or award?
• NO, but you will need to get approval to enter from a Canoe or kayak Permit Holder or other approved personnel.
How do I get approval to enter the challenge event?
You will need to prove the following competencies:-
• Be able to swim 50metres in clothing,
• Paddle in a straight line,
• Turn the craft using sweep strokes,
• Capsize and swim ashore,
• Be able to climb out of deep water (canal side/ swimming Pool).
Once you have proved your competence to an authorised person, he / she will give you a Unique reference number which you will need to include when you finally submit team members about 2 weeks before the event.
Are there any training sessions planned? Yes, look out on the County Website or WYSMail
If in doubt, E-mail Water@wyscouts.org.uk for more information